Union leadership will review the terms of the agreement with members this week and it is expected that members will vote on the contract on Wednesday, May 30.
Provided the NBEA members approve the terms of the two-year contract, it will come before the school board for approval at its June 14 regular meeting.
North Branch school board briefs
• Because review and discussion of school policies has become an extensive and time consuming process during the school board meetings, it had been suggested that a sub-committee of the school board be established to go over the policies prior to coming before the board. So last week, school board chairwoman Kim Salo appointed board members Kirby Ekstrom, Randy Westby and Trent Jensen to that sub-committee.
• It was also decided that work session of the board will continue through the summer months.
• It was also reported that a mediation session between the district and the NBEA (teachers’union) was to be held Friday, May 11.
• Two teachers and one support staff were released per the budget recommendations and tenure was approved for Elijah Davies, Tech Ed Teacher at the high school, Benjamin Firkus, band teacher, high school and Jennifer Dale, vocal music teacher, middle school.
• Upcoming meetings to make note of include the Legislative Action Committee Meeting, 7 p.m., May 22 at Sunrise River Elementary Media Center; School Board Work Session, 7 pm, May 24, North Branch Area Education Center, Room 126; Senior Awards Night, 7 p.m., May 29, North Branch High School Commons; STEP Awards and Recognition Banquet, 5:30 p.m., May 31, Middle School East Cafeteria and Graduation of the Class of 2012, 7 p.m. June 5 at the West Gymnasium.