Walker hopes to earn your vote
My name is Lora Walker, and I have the distinct honor of representing you on the Chisago County Board of Commissioners. Thank you for your support in previous elections. I extend a warm welcome to Center City residents joining District 1.
Mark your calendars. On Tuesday, Aug. 14, this district will have a primary election, which is a narrowing of candidates from three to two for the November General Election. I hope to earn your vote.
For the past 15 years I have lived in Lent Township with my husband Chris, 19-year-old son Shelby and our many pets. Chris is an auto body repair professional specializing in custom/graphic painting and builds nostalgic street rods as a hobby. We are lifetime members of the Minnesota Street Rod Association. Our son Shelby, a 2011 graduate of North Branch High School, recently completed his CompTIA A+ Certification. Shelby is a newly registered voter, and I hope to succeed in getting his vote as well as to inspire other young adults to vote.
I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in human service administration from Metropolitan State University and studied toward a Masters in public administration. I have 22 years of combined experience working, and serving, in county governments, along with mentoring other leaders with public policy initiatives. My personal interests involve volunteering through Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston to find a cure for Type 1 diabetes.
I have served on the county board for six of the past 10 years. My leadership skills include serving on the budget committee and labor negotiations. I was elected by my peers in 2004 and 2010 as vice-chair and chair of the board in 2011. I understand the impact of taxes on families and businesses and the importance of government spending within its means, and have worked hard toward that goal.
My past votes show where I stand on issues:
• Led the way with ZERO percent county levy increases four years in a row.
• Fortified conservative fiscal management resulting in our county bond rating being upgraded twice in recent years, saving many thousands of dollars in bond interest payments.
• Collaborated with state and federal legislators to realize the addition of a bridge on Co. Rd. 17 and the replacement of the Hwy. 95 bridge over I-35.
• Improved many county roads including the Co. 30/Hwy. 95 intersection in North Branch.
• Supported local businesses and brought additional businesses to Chisago County resulting in over 500 new skilled jobs county-wide in recent years.
• Against unnecessary taxpayer spending to build a new jail facility, especially during an economic downturn. I support a referendum vote by the people.
• Against the power plant that continues to significantly impact property values.
• Supported fiscal policies that cut waste, prioritized needs and fulfilled state and federal mandates.
I filed for re-election to continue serving you while assuring county services can be provided in a most cost effective manner. If you have any questions or comments, please call me at 651-462-2268 or visit my website at lorawalker.com.