At this time of year, thinking about warm summer sands and gently lapping lake water is the perfect respite for the winter blues.
Students at Sunrise River Elementary School in North Branch pretended it was the middle of summer during beach party day Feb. 24. Many donned sunglasses and summer garb and then ate their lunches on beach blankets on the floor of the school’s cafeteria.
As part of the celebration, the students were recognized for collecting 1,720 pounds of canned goods in the school’s food drive. That amount was an increase of more than 200 pounds from last year.
Winners of the school’s puppet contest were also announced during the lunches.
1. Vada Bassett, Mrs. Gillquist’s class
2. Taylar Dufour, Mrs. Klun’s class
3. Karter Carlson, Mrs. Heath’s class
1. Preston Haley, Mrs. Meemken’s class
2. Reid Hamlin, Mrs. Funke’s class
3. Ainslee Hunter, Mrs. Meemken’s class
1. Jaydon Eisenschenk, Mrs. Kelly Johnson’s class
2. Victoria Powell, Mrs. Reed’s class
3. Emerson Volner, Mrs. Jodi Johnson’s class
1. Harper Kopp, Mrs. Pierce’s class
2. Anabelle Lattimore, Mrs. Kristen Johnson’s class
3. Aurorah Bennett, Mrs. Read-Slaughter’s class
1. Madison Moran, Mrs. John’s class
2. Emma Earley, Mrs. Golden’s class
3. Julis Miletich, Mrs. Golden’s class